Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What is IPL and Laser Support?

This is both easy and difficult to explain. The obvious is easy, supporting others in need. It is explaining who these others are and what caused their need for support that is more difficult.

Okay, let's start with what caused the need for support.

First, I will attempt to answer "What is IPL?" IPL is intense pulsed light-easy enough. IPL is a cosmetic procedure used for a variety of skin conditions, hopefully administered by medical professionals, but often administered by technicians/estheticians who are not medically licensed.

Some of the skin conditions which IPL is used to treat are rosacea, wrinkles, hair removal, uneven skin tone, melasma and broken capillaries to name just a few. It has been in use for just a little under 20 years in clinical applications. The first cosmetic application approval for IPL by the FDA was for "permanent hair removal" in 1997. IPL technology has evolved since that time. Later iterations of IPL devices have been approved by the FDA for treatment of other skin conditions as noted.

If you would like to read more about IPL, I found one website that is a state government site which has some information on IPL and Lasers. Here is the link:

http://www.medicalboard.iowa.gov/Lasers.html

The website above is one of the few that I found that was not affiliated with an IPL manufacturer or IPL practitioner. There is little, if any, formal medical information on IPL and many other cosmetic devices that is not connected in some way with a manufacturer or provider who uses IPL and/or lasers. Please keep that in mind when reading any "official' or descriptive information posted on this blog or elsewhere regarding IPL and lasers.

Here is another found on an a .edu website, although it seems to have been supplied by a manufacturer or distributer of lasers:

http://tinyurl.com/ag6n4p

Okay, now that we know what IPL is, let's talk about lasers. Lasers are, well, lasers. They are used to resurface the skin. They are used also for a variety of cosmetic purposes having to do with the skin--similar to IPL.

I am a fan of this website, so I will post Dr. T's take on lasers:

http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/invasive/ablativelaserresurfacing.html

I need to dig a little and find out how many cosmetic laser devices there are now. My slightly educated guess is that around 4-5 new lasers have been released each year for the last five years. I will err on the low side with that guess.

There are ablative lasers (Co2 or Erbium for instance) and non-ablative lasers (KTP or fractional--minimally invasive, for instance).

The definition of ablate:

wear away through erosion or vaporization; to remove or decrease something by the process of ablation; to undergo ablation

Not so pretty sounding and not so pretty looking when it first happens either. I have personally had ablative laser. It was not pretty for a long, long time (almost six months). My skin was literally vaporized with an erbium (ablative) laser. My final results were better than many but not what I hoped. The after effects still linger, two years later.

The last cosmetic device I will mention is radio frequency (RF). Anyone remember first generation RF? Read here from a few years ago what was experienced by this group:

http://www.makemeheal.com/forum/viewThread.jsp?forum=24&thread=6122


There you have it: IPL, laser (both ablative and non-ablative), and radio frequency (RF) damage all comprise what caused our need for support.

Now I will try to describe the "who" in "needs support" and why support is needed.

People who've been damaged by any of these devices comprise the who. But, why do they need support? As in most cosmetic procedures, having one/many procedures is a choice and not something that anyone is forced to do. By virtue of that fact, when something goes wrong the person who made that choice begins blaming themselves for that bad choice. Now, having something go wrong with the procedure is of course not their fault, but the choosing it part is what causes so much angst for those of us harmed by cosmetic procedures, especially IPL, lasers, and RF. We often feel that if we had thought about it longer, researched it more, just been happy with the way we were that this bad thing would not have happened to us. All of that may be true to a degree, but regardless of that fact, we are in pain.

Some people have been damaged beyond repair. I know of young lady who threatened suicide after she said her face was ruined forever by Co2 laser resurfacing. She was an attorney who said she had lost her job, boyfriend, and her friends. She said she could not be consoled by her family and she was wearing them out with her emotional pain. She went away (she had been posting on an Internet plastic surgery board off and on for many months) after her threat and she never posted again. Did she, didn't she harm herself? That won't likely ever be known for sure. I pray that she did not, but there's not much way of knowing for sure out here in cyberspace.

For many IPL/laser victims, families are supportive of the emotional pain that IPL/laser victims experience. But we know our families can't really understand what we are going through and besides we took money out of family funds to do this to ourselves, we don't always feel like we deserve a great deal of their sympathy.

The need to have someone else totally understand has driven many to seek out the support of others on the Internet who are like them. It is human nature to seek out those like yourself. Only when someone else has experienced what you've experienced can you feel like you are truly understood by someone. None of us wanted to find others like us, but by instinct we sought each other out. It was not so terribly difficult to find others who've been damaged by IPL or lasers. It was actually quite easy. Now begins the story of how, when, where and why....

I have frequented a well known plastic surgery message board for over 3 years for various reasons. One of the reasons I visited the board was the unhappy outcome I had from my own laser resurfacing. In the course of visiting the board over several months, I kept reading about IPL and fat loss. I had heard the rumors from several years ago that claimed RF could cause fat loss and sagging skin, but I was not familiar with IPL causing fat loss . I kept watching and reading the board for several months monitoring posts on this subject. A pattern developed. More people were posting of their skin changing, dents appearing, scarring, and fat loss after having IPL procedures performed, some even claimed having fat loss from certain types of pulsed dye devices. My ears perked as I've had pulsed-dye myself, but an older version of pulsed dye, by a very capable doctor. I had no ill effects, but I do not discount others who've not been so lucky.

I eventually posted a poll entitled "IPL and Fat Loss" on the message board. It was extremely popular and went to several pages and was eventually locked due to size. You can read the stories here:

http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/viewtopic.php?t=68784

The stories were/are heartbreaking as you might have read at the link above. None of the "victims" could/can get a doctor to take them seriously or believe their fat loss was/is from IPL. Many were/are at their wit's end, pockets empty from trying to restore their faces. Many of these people are heartbroken, despondent, and continuously blaming themselves but angry that no one will listen to their stories and take them seriously.

Thus a support board for the IPL victims and for those damaged by cosmetic laser procedures was born last October (2008):

(edited to add Daily Strength board no longer exists but has moved)

Please visit the IPL and Laser Damage Support Board at:

http://iplandlaserdamagesupport.prophpbb.com/

I hope this blog will inform. I hope others who've have been damaged by IPL or lasers will join the support group. I hope others who are considering any of these procedures will think long and hard before proceeding. But most of all, I hope that someone in authority, a doctor, scientist, or someone will take up this cause and believe that fat loss from IPL can and does happen, Our fervent hope is to protect others from suffering this same fate.

Thank you for reading!

18 comments:

  1. I need to speak to someone on a private email
    how do I do that?I have had laser damage and I am very distressed but too distressed to talk online about it. can someone contact me on my private email?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you advise on the different risks of pulsed dye laser and IPL? it appears that the short-term damage on pulsed dye lasers are more visible but that after a few weeks there is very little risk of permanent damage?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not an expert on these medical devices but have become intensely familiar with the havoc they can wreak on one's life.

    Here is one explanation of PDL:

    What is Pulsed Dye Laser?
    The Pulsed Dye Laser (PDL) uses a beam of light at a specific wavelength and is used for conditions or spots on the skin which are made up of blood and blood vessels.

    This is a description of IPL:

    What is Intense Pulsed Light?

    Intense Pulsed Light (IPLTM) is technology in which light is converted to heat energy when it reaches the collagen in the skin. This is known as photorejuvenation. IPLTM treats the skin without disruption of the skin’s surface.

    One person, at least, had fat loss from V-Beam on the IPL and Laser Support board, the vast majority of people have had facial volume loss from IPL. Sometimes the damage is very quick to appear, in other cases it can take longer.

    I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been researching about the side effects of the IPL laser and am thankful that I found out about this before making my next appointment for some laser work.

    I suffer from mild-moderate rosacea and have been for the past 7 years. I have been treated to two courses of Roaccutane over a period of 2 years, the second course being a higher dosage. It went away for a year though not completely but the following year (this year) I took up daily mod-intense exercise and did frequent sauna trips and unfortunately it returned just as bad.

    Last month I visited a dermatologist and prescribed me with a months supply of minocyclin (x5 repeats!) and some topical cream (which I found out with prelonged use can thin your skin). I have always thought about laser work since no antibiotics or creams will work after a long trial and error period. I do eat quite healthy as well as it shows on the skin of my body but not face.

    All this laser talk does put me off and it makes me wonder if getting rid of this redness will really be worth it? I will be extra cautious of this area and will demand test patches be done before the real deal. I need some advise on Gemini laser 532nm (link below), also called Auro or deolite laser? Has anyone tried this and had facial fat loss or any bad side effects from this laser?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would suggest that you visit:

    http://iplandlaserdama.talkthis.com/

    and ask your question there. I've never personally had IPL but most at the above website have. Also, visit all of the rosacea message boards, too. Some on those boards are also experiencing fat loss from IPL. This is not an isolated problem, but it's not a terribly common problem either. People from all over the world are having these experiences but most do not make the connection between IPL and facial fat loss until later, if at all. Those who do make the connection are told by doctors and techs that what is happening to them is not from IPL or is not possible, yet it happens time and again.

    I would really think a thousand times before taking the risk of IPL.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to let you know that I decided NOT to get a IPL treatment, because of what I read here...I canceled my treatment and am thankful for this website, because all the advertisements paint a pretty picture, but that is clearly not the case. I am glad you are getting the word out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for letting me know. This means a lot. I'm so glad you did not have to go through the heartache that I encounter daily by those who have suffered due to these devices. God bless and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i had ablative co2 resurfacing 2 years ago and within the last year have exerienced increase aging of lines around my mouth...i found a doctor who told me that this is what lasers do...that it damages the thermal content in the body and your elastin is lost after 2-3 years...i just turned 39...and i can't tell you how destressed i am does anyone know anything about this elastin loss in the skin from co2 ablative resurfacing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. You are one of the few (maybe only) people I've ever known to have a doctor admit that lasers are damaging as you describe. Please join our support forum so that you can post questions there and speak to others who have also been harmed by cosmetic laser/light devices.

    Here is the link:

    http://iplandlaserdamagesupport.prophpbb.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kudos for this website! I had IPL done several years ago. I can tell you that the damage may not show up for a year or two later. Even 5 years later, you may start to see the damage. The dents, zig zag lines, the squares, the holes and enlarged pores, just don't add up to old age. It's from the IPL and I beg anyone who may read this that you are fine the way you ARE> The IPL will not help and will only make your face worse with time. Until karma catches up to these unethical doctors, the patients are on a destructive path that is unintentional. The doctors are ignoring the facts because greed has taken a more important role than people's health and care. I urge anyone to think twice and stay away from a procedure that has caused so many people PAIN. Karma will be paid back to these doctors, that I am sure of. Also, it's very telling when Erin Brockovich's site has IPL as a huge base of complaints. Patient BEWARE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi
    I had 4 IPL treatments done on a fortnightly basis 6 weeks ago to remove facial hairs and it immedietly left my skin extremely dry with severe pigmentation. This occured badly for a week. It so happens that although it is gradually dissapearing with microdermabrasion, my skin is still dry and sometimes itchy. Any advice please would be appreciated as I would still like to carry on as hairs are still falling off in patches in my 6th week...

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you have had a negative response to an IPL treatment, it may not be in your best interest to have more treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Has anyone report damage with the Cutera Pearl Laser I went last week for a consultation and was offered this treatment for sun damage after finding this site having second thoughts ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not specifically that laser that I can recall, but they are all very similar. Please read our forum before having any laser procedure done:

    http://iplandlaserdamagesupport.prophpbb.com/

    Or visit our website:

    www.iplandlaserdamage.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciate this site because it makes you think twice before having the treatments. I have a question. I am reading on many different sites that IPL can cause this and cause that but are there actually studies out there stating this???? Are all the people that experience these negative issues going to a spa, not spacing out treatments and so forth??? I saw a post on here where the person said they had 4 IPL treatments in 6 weeks. THat is a lot of treatments in 6 weeks. I have been told by many that you need to wait at least 4-6 weeks between 1 treatment. I guess I am just frustrated. I myself have had 2 treatments for a birthmark on my cheek. I waited 7 weeks after the 1st tx to have the second. People who are having treatments within 2 weeks time are setting themselves up for potential damage dont you think? Anyways, I had a 3rd IPL scheduled for tomorrow 12/9 and cancelled it. Why??? Two reasons...the main one was because I am really concerned about what I am reading. The other reason is because my doctor told me it was ok to resume my ziana (acne med) after treatment and it caused red,itchy,raised areas on my l side of my face. It has resolved (took about 4 weeks) but I still am feeling overly sensitive and want to hold of before jumping into a 3rd IPL. I also noticed a little area above the birthmark that developed hypopigmentation. I am upset about that. My doctor did tell me hypopigmentation could occur but I wish I would have had the birthmark lasered and not the surrounding areas. It is subtle but I think we all find our flaws on ourselves more than anyone. My doctor is very educated and told me he knows I want a quick fix but doing it too agressive could cause damage. It is better to take it slow(use lower settings and go from there) and see what the results are. I have brought up my readings about IPL to the doctor and he never heard of fat loss etc being a side effect of IPL. WHat or who do we believe? It is unfortunate in my case because I have responded well with the IPL (the brown mark has drastically lightened with 2 treatments) but I am turned off by these findings on the internet. Any response is greatly appreciated! My heart aches for those who have experienced severe damage and your stories are helping others make better, informed decisions about considering IPL

    ReplyDelete
  16. For whatever reason, my blog is not allowing me to post as myself. Go figure. Google is messed up these days. Anyway, I'm the admin of this site.

    The damage is happening to many who've only had one treatment, not necessarily to those who've had treatments close together or even more than one. The damage has happened to people who've been to some of the foremost laser experts in the world, not just med spas. You might want to visit the forum to read the stories there. There is a resource section with studies about the damage and potential for damage:

    http://iplandlaserdamagesupport.prophpbb.com/

    I think it is wise to wait and do more research before you proceed with more treatments. I also want to add that not everyone is harmed but there's no way to predict who will and who will not be damaged. Doctors deny and certainly won't admit that this is happening, even though they stare the damage in the face (literally) of those damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad that someone has come openly and discussed on the severe side effects caused by laser resurfacing and IPL. These kind of forums will help in a long way to those who are thinking of undergoing these surgeries and analyzing them and viewing the details in an internet. Doctors in general do not always discuss about the failed surgeries and these cases does not come outside unless a support group like this where people who get affected come out openly and inform the world about their situation. This can make people think in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  18. For anyone who has experienced any of these issues and damage, I just created a Facebook page and group that is intended to be a place of support, information sharing and assistance for those who have experience negative effects of laser, IPL or radio frequency devices in Australia.

    Hopefully by drawing all these people I keep finding from message boards into the one place so we can get a look at numbers and start to get some attention from those in the beauty and medical industry who seem to be completely clueless.

    Here is the page https://www.facebook.com/radiofrequencysupport/?ref=bookmarks

    And the group (I haven't decided if it is best to have a page or group yet so please join both if you can).

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1040128249365173/

    ReplyDelete